Data Protection and Freedom of Information

Some members of staff have already made requests for information under either the Data Protection (DPA) or Freedom of Information (FIA) Acts. The following is information that may be useful to members.

  • The DPA via a Subject Access Request can be used to access information an employer holds about you. Here is a draft letter you may want to use, the employer can charge a fee of up to £10.
  • Under the FIA any member of the public may request information held by public authorities, which include colleges and universities.Absolute exemptions include personal data about the applicant (because they have a right of access under the DPA).
  • If you believe there has been any sexual discrimination you may wish to consider the SD74 Questionnaire

Therefore, if you intend to ask the University for information regarding yourself the DPA and a Subject Access Request is the correct method.

Leave a Reply